Newspaper Digitization Project
Fees & Membership
Photo Gallery
Museum Newsletters
Museum Store
Reminiscences of Rich Valley
Towns and Sights
Benjamin F. Buchanan Display 
Victorian Era Display 
  The museum was founded in 1961 by Mrs. Clara Hill Carner with the mission to preserve and protect the history of this region through the collection, protection, display and interpretation of artifacts and outreach programs.  From an 1838 one-room school house to a building that housed Smyth County’s first public high school in 1908, the Holston River Heritage Center (formerly Smyth County Museum) is now in a renovated retail building at 123 East Main Street.  The Holston River Heritage Center is a Virginia non-profit organization.

We're located at:

123 East Main Street
PO Box 710
Marion, VA 24354
(Located next to the Lincoln Theater)    Click for map and directions
Tel:  276-783-7286
Email:  smythcountymuseum@gmail.com

Hours:
11am-8pm, Fri.
11am-4pm, Mon.-Thur.
10am-2pm, Sat.

Visit our Facebook page


A Brief History of Smyth County
Formed on February 23, 1832, from Washington and Wythe counties, the county is named for Alexander Smyth, a general during the War of 1812 and later a member of the House of Representatives. 

Smyth County is formed by three valleys:  Rich Valley to the north along the North Fork of the Holston River, Middle Valley in the central part of the county along the Middle Fork, and Rye Valley to the south along the South Fork, Holston River.  Settlement of what today is Smyth County began in the 1740's and the area was opened to legal settlement in 1768 with the earliest settlers being primarily of Scotch-Irish and German descent.

                 

Click on any photo to enlarge    

Last updated 06/19/2018 07:58 AM
Site hosted by Kingsport Web Design, Kingsport, Tenn.