About Us

The museum was founded in 1961 by Mrs. Clara Hill Carner with the mission to preserve and protect the history of this region through the collection, protection, display and interpretation of artifacts and outreach programs.  From an 1838 one-room school house to a building that housed Smyth County’s first public high school in 1908, the Holston River Heritage Center (formerly Smyth County Museum) has found a new home in a renovated retail building at 123 East Main Street.

The Holston River Heritage Center is a Virginia non-profit organization.

Officers and board - -



(return to main page)

Last updated 05/16/2015 04:33 PM